A migraine is the worst kind of headache one can get. It starts with bright colored lines and other shapes dancing before your eyes. It causes an intense headache on one side of the head, and some common symptoms of a migraine are nausea, hallucinations, and seizures. Frequent Migraine can disturb your quality of life; this is why you should undergo treatment to cure migraines. Chiropractic treatment has proved to both efficient and cheap for treating migraines. Seventy-two percent of migraine patients witnessed improvement in their health condition during their treatment period; this clinical study was done by Dr. Peter Tuchin, a chiropractor for the past 20 years. Migraines are classified into two types, without aura, also known as a common migraine and with aura, known as a classic migraine. Aura refers to the warning signs that you can feel before the headaches or migraines start. The majority of migraines occur without aura.
Causes of a migraine
- Hormonal changes in women – During periods, women often get migraines. The frequency is more during puberty and vanish around menopause.
- Food consumption – alcohol, aged cheese, fermented food, chocolates, aspartame, and caffeine might trigger a migraine when consumed.
- Stress – Excessive stress causes a migraine.
- Disturbance in sleep routine – Change in sleep pattern can set off a migraine. For example, Jet lag.
- Sensory stimulus – Strong and unusual smell, bright light and loud sound can trigger a migraine in a few people.
- Physical exertion – Physical exertion can cause a migraine.
Symptoms of a Migraine Attack
Migraine without aura (common symptoms)
- Sensitiveness to light, sound and smell.
Migraine without aura (new symptoms)
- Cold or hot feeling
- loss of focus
- inability to think properly
Migraine with aura
- Disturbances in vision
- Stiffness in legs, neck and shoulders.
- Unstable speech
- Become unconscious
- Bad coordination between brain and body
- Lack of concentration concentration
Chiropractic Treatment and Migraine
Diagnosing the cause
Your chiropractor will first conduct a full body examination and do a background check on your health history. X-Ray and MRI might be performed.
History check will include:
- Physical or Emotional Stress
- Environmental changes
- Physical exertion
- Food consumption
- Ongoing medications
Physical examination will include:
- Muscular tests
- Neurology tests
- Body posture
- X-Rays of neck and spine
Treatment of Migraine
Your treatment will be based on the reports obtained from the test. The doctor of chiropractic will devise a routine treatment plan, and you will be asked to follow it. The treatment plan may include:
- Soft tissue therapy
- Stress management
- Change in diet
- Resting (sleep)
- heat treatment
Chiropractic treatment is free from any mild or severe side effects. But some people might experience temporary headaches, tiredness and discomfort. There are no serious side effects, and this is why treating chiropractic care is safer than taking medication.